Saturday, April 22, 2006


When I returned to Meulaboh, I thought the adventuring was over for a while, but no! I got to hitch a ride up with some friends to Calang- an incredibly bumpy 3 hour drive north of Meulaboh. Much of the road was completely washed away last year, so we had an adventurous time driving on the beach, through craterous holes and over dubious log bridges. It was a lot of fun. And Calang is a gorgeous area- with really nice beaches (tons of cool shells). Pictures will have to come later as my camera ran out of batteries (most unfortunate).
Calang is a townwas essentially completely destroyed, with 80% of its population killed. They are working hard on rebuilding, and there are many good projects underway. FHI is busy up there with agriculture projects, and temporary housing.

So, now I'm back in Meulaboh. I enjoyed a nice, quiet Easter. And am now working hard catching up on all that missed work!

Oh- on other news. I made it into SPU's Master's of Teaching program- hooray for that. I'll be starting the year-long program this summer, if all goes according to plan (but you know how it is with my plans...)

No comments: