Thursday, February 09, 2006

going away party

Whew! I’ve been crazy busy lately. I’ve been working hard conducting English camps this past week. I’ll write a separate blog entry for those details, once I’ve got some good pictures to show you all.

Last week the Program Manager who had been here for an entire year finished off her contract and returned to the States. Happily, we had a convenient holiday day to give her a good going away party. It was a lot of fun, but at the same time it was a glimpse of what it’s going to be like to leave here. Hard. When you both live and work together, you get close fast. And the nature of this place is that in the absence of entertainment opportunities, you have to provide it yourself, which means that you actually really get to know people, and with FHI that means everyone you work with, including the security guards and housekeepers. Which I think is really cool.

We went to a great beach near the airport and had a fish and chicken barbeque. While there we enjoyed a GREAT sunset. I had tried making lemon bars from scratch, and they really didn’t turn out well. I tried to tell everyone that they were something else (citrom delight, you know something vague like that) so they didn’t expect a lemon bar… but they just laughed. I’m not going to give up though, I’m sure it was the recipe’s fault… really! Happily, Bethany also cooked, and her brownies and cake turned out awesome. We’re all really lucky that Bethany is such a good cook!





Here's the beach!
















Bethany, Janes and others grilled some amazing fish and chicken! yum!














Nice sunset, hey? It made for a great end to a great party!









On other news, I think Simone (the gecko) and Herman have a thing going, because the other morning I woke up and there was the cutest tiny little baby gecko on the wall right by my head. His name is Pachito. He’s a good addition because he’s already hunting those nasty mosquitoes.




Here's Simone, at least I think it's Simone. There is a chance that it's Herman. To tell you the truth, it's a bit difficult to tell them apart.

No comments: