Friday, February 24, 2006

Saturday Morning

Life seems to be moving right along here. It’s amazing how fast you can get used to things, and how things that seemed so novel to you at first becomes common place and routine (though I still sometimes forget to roll up my pants when I wash my hands and get all splattered).

This morning (Saturday) I woke up and it was actually refreshingly cool! It was absolutely pouring outside, and still is. It makes it a lot easier to sleep in, and since it coincided with a Saturday morning it was the best way to begin the weekend. Usually, here in Indonesia, girls never sleep in. Not even on weekends. They’re supposed to always be up before the men, and while all my housemates don’t have their mothers here to harass them, they still struggle to sleep to 8:00 on a Saturday morning. Which, consequently, makes it difficult for me to sleep to 8:00 as well, since there are usually over 6 of us sharing this place. I’m almost always the last up, and Ma’nyak (one of our housekeepers and resident Mom) usually comes into my room and rubs my feet and pops my toes until I get up. The first time she did this, it well, surprised me, but now I like it. And now I don’t mind her coming in while I’m still sleeping (provided it's after 7:30). Though I think I perplex her as to why I would ever want to sleep so late.

1 comment:

sam said...

That's awesome. I'm going to try the toe-popping thing with Erick, and also with anybody who happens to come visit here.

Saw your comment. I'm glad you found my blog. I like yours too!