Saturday, March 18, 2006


This is Epi. She lives next door to our office. She's very friendly, especially to bule's (foreigners). She especially likes me for some reason. I think it's because we both have curly hair. She started off giving me flowers or grass that she'd picked. Then it was pretty rocks. Now, for some reason, she feels like it's necessary to give me a rock every time she sees me (several times a day), sometimes they're still pretty rocks, but usually it's just a piece of gravel she picks up on her way over to greet me. I still act excited about the gravel, but miss the pretty rocks, grass and occasional wildflower.

Epi's mom and dad have a little cafe by our office. I go there to get an occasional cup of authentic Acehnese coffee, minus the sugar (real authentic Acehnese coffee has so much sugar in it that you can hardly taste the coffee). It's pretty strong black stuff- very black. Actually, sometimes it's just pure charcoal. Sometimes it's really good though. So, I take my 1000 rupiah (about 10 cents US) over and give it a shot.

I tried taking a picture of Epi’s mom making the coffee, but she was too shy. But, I tell ya, it’s a unique process that doesn’t involve drip, glass canisters or any other coffee paraphernalia that I’m accustomed to.

No comments: