Sunday, January 22, 2006

weekend with my bro!

Happy Monday. I’ve had a great weekend, especially since my brother has been here. He’s on a trip checking up on various FHI programs, which, happily, includes Indonesia! It’s been a lot of fun seeing him, and hanging out. But he really does work hard on these trips, even on the weekends!
Since he and another group of people were here checking things out, I tagged along on some of their tours through the neighborhoods that we’re working in. Even though it has been an entire year, the magnitude of the disaster here can still be seen everywhere. It’s absolutely heart-wrenching. I’ll continue thinking about it, and taking better pictures, and then write something on it in a few days; it’s just going to have to percolate a little longer so I can give it my best, so visit this blog again sometime, okay? My brother was also just in Pakistan, assessing the programs and needs there. This morning he shared photos with us, and that too was horrific. Please continue to remember the Pakistani victims of the October earthquake, as they are attempting to survive an extremely harsh Himalayan winter without proper shelter, clothing or food. Despite their extreme hardship, his photos had image after image of smiling children. It’s the same here: children smiling. How can they smile after all the tragedy in their lives? It astounds me.

Next week will be my first English camp with the children in the neighborhood that we serve. Many of them still live in tents there. I’m excited to meet them and help them in whatever way I can. Meanwhile, I’m frantically writing curriculum and having my Indonesian colleagues check it to make sure its culturally acceptable to the very conservative Islamic culture here.

Here’s a few photos of this weekend. The beach is gorgeous, though my brother said the last time he was here, NOBODY would go there, since it was filthy. Apparently it took a long time for this town to stop smelling of death. Happily, it no longer does, and they’re not finding anybody new, and the beach is clean and we can enjoy the most gorgeous sunsets over the Indian Ocean. It’s amazing that beauty is always there if you look for it.



Here's a photo of the street by where I live. The only public transportation around town are the becak "baychalk". They're a lot of fun to ride in. You feel like a movie star since everyone points at you and waves.... it may actually have more to do with my whiteness than the becak though...

These are some of the GREAT people I work with!






my bro and I... it was REALLY hot...




mmmm...

nice, hey?!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi!Abi,
this is fumiko in mitoya japan.
i am really enjoy your weblog.

Anonymous said...

hey abs,

just wanted to let you know that you are now in "my favorites" I'll visit you often.

be good! I'll hear about it otherwise :)